Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Seeing stars

So this week, week 7 of couch to 5k, there are no more intervals. It's all straight runs from here on out. I do not at all feel ready for this. On Monday I was so exhausted from the weekend and then first thing that morning, my oldest broke her hand, so I spent all day at dr.'s. By the time evening came, I was just done and decided to skip the gym. (Mondays are generally a run day- Monday, Wednesday, Friday).
Tuesday I was up at 2:45am for work and couldn't go to the gym after, as I spent all afternoon at the orthopedic hand surgeon. I ended up going to the gym with my husband that night, at like 7:30pm. I'm not a fan of going to the gym that late, ever, but figured I needed to go. By that time, I was utterly exhausted. I tried to run, I think I managed about 10 minutes, but I just didn't have it in me. I was pretty bummed, but whatever... at least I went to the gym and at least I sweat. Better than not going at all, right?

So today, i was determined to get my run on. Breakfast was oatmeal with cranberries, and for lunch I spotted a lean cuisine- spaghetti and meat sauce in the freezer. I made a big salad to go with it. Well, the lean cuisine was disgusting so I was going to throw it away but my youngest (garbage gut) ate it. I had caved to a "light" blue cheese dressing at the grocery store and put that on my salad..ew ew ew. It was gross to, so I threw that away. So needless to say, I ate maybe 4 bites of lunch. I drank a good amount of water through out the day though.

So I headed to the gym, around 2:45. My schedule said 5 min warm up walk, and 25 min run, and 5 min cool down walk. I started running about 4:30 because I was feeling good and ready and the song on the ipod had me motivated. I ended up having to pause for about 30-40 seconds a couple of times but jumped right back on and ran. I made it!! :) I was pretty happy but dang it is still hard. Like when is this going to get easier for me? I'm still only at just over 2 miles in my 35 minutes, so running a 5k in a reasonable amount of time seems pretty unattainable still. UGGGHHH.

So this is where my day got interesting. Right about when I wrapped up my cool down walk, I started seeing white spots all around my vision, yah, like seeing stars. I felt light headed and just weird. I started guzzling my water and decided to get the heck out of there. I went to the gas station right by the gym and grabbed a G2, thinking maybe I was low on electrolytes? I had no idea what was going on, but my vision was all weird and I felt really really off. I was starting to worry I was going to pass out. I didn't know what to do. Managed to get myself home and was feeling a bit better, but still OFF.

Googled my symptoms and according to this
http://www.livestrong.com/article/372473-what-does-seeing-spots-colors-after-exercise-mean/
I'm thinking it was low blood sugar. I wondered about low blood pressure too? So crazy and I did not like how it felt at all. I will from now on make sure I eat more before I go to the gym. If anyone has experienced this...please advise. It was pretty scary.
Tonight I'm feeling achy and really tired. Hoping I'll feel good as new after a good night's sleep. Hope you all had a good day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment